Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Self Portrait Tuesday and Get That Monkey Off My Back!!

The Question

When I turned 18, I decided to get a tattoo. This was roughly 14 years ago, and the question I am still sometimes asked to this day is why. As in "why did you get that?", or "why did you put it there?", or "why would you permanently mark your body?". I really don't know how to answer. To me it is really no big deal, just something I knew I wanted, went through a lot of temporary tattoos in many different places to decide where I wanted it, but in the end was happy with what I got and where I got it. Bottom line is I wanted one, so I got one, and now it is a part of me, just as much as my red hair or green eyes. What I have found is even if you have a smallish, feminine tat, people still make assumptions. That is too bad for them-I don't sweat it. Besides, its too late now ;-).


I was sick all day Saturday, which was a real bummer because the family got together for my sister's birthday Saturday night. Miss V had been sick two weekends before, and was just getting rid of her lingering cough. Now it was Scottie's and I turn, so we hunkered down under the covers of my king size bed and got some much needed rest. Sunday the kids and I, along with my mom, went to the movies and saw "Chicken Little". Cute movie, and true to Disney style, just a tad over the kids' heads, but they enjoyed it nonetheless. On the knitting front, I finally finished the cursed monkey-tote. As you may or may not remember, the blue yarn that I thought I had went mysteriously missing, so I had to improvise. I was not pleased with a gusset that was a different color than the front and back of the tote, to say the least. Add to that several other small but annoying technical difficulties that were just enough to make me sick and tired of that thing by late Thursday night. I shelved the project all day Friday, deciding I would figure something out Saturday morning (talk about your last minute project). As fate would have it, the day turned out to be a total wash due to illness, so Sunday morning I sat down in front of the pieces of shit tote and did something I am known to do on occasion: cry. Out of frustration, disappointment, or lingering cold medication-whatever-but one thing was for sure: I was letting that tote kick my ass. So in a snap judgment, I sewed the front piece to the back (I had made the front lower piece too long, which when trying to add the gusset only compounded my earlier frustrations), deciding to turn lemons into lemonade, and grabbed some scrap material for lining (again, I was aiming to get lining material Saturday-go figure), and knitted up a garter stitch strap. Add some velcro for a closing, some d-rings to sew on the handles, and behold-we have a very, very modified monkey tote.


So there-that is done. Tomorrow I hope to be in a better mood-I think it is the drastic change in the weather that has got me down. Saturday it was 70 degrees and sunny (again, go figure) but Sunday was cold and windy, as was yesterday. Today is 40, rainy, gloomy, and windy. I am actually hoping for snow, because that would be a change. Geez-I must be desperate.

3 Comments:

  • i am soooo in love with the monkey bag!!!!

    By Blogger jennifer, at 10:40 AM  

  • Great tat story--and that picture is so cool and edgy! love it ;)

    That is too bad that your weekend was spent being sick! I sure hope you are feeling better now.

    I really love the way the tote came out--so much better than the one in the book, in my opinion.

    Great job, T!

    Much love~

    By Blogger Lolly, at 12:18 PM  

  • I'm liking the tattoo! Great study for SPT. They fascinate me, but I'm a chicken about the pain of being repeatedly stabbed by a needle. That, plus the fact that with my propensity for bad skin, people would probably mistake the tattoo for a really bad zit.

    So sorry to hear you were under the weather- hope you're feeling better. In spite of all your frustration with it, I think your monkey tote is ADORABLE!! I love the colors and the way you improvised the gusset situation. And I'm with Lolly- it looks so much better than the one in the book! Here's to some fantastic lemonade and snow.. :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home