Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Trees and Leaves

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.
- William Blake, 1799, The Letters

One minute the trees are green, and before I know it they are the gorgeous hues of fall. Just as fast, they are gone-on the ground and ready to be raked. I live across the street from an elementary school, and last Friday as I watched my daughter cross the street, the prettiest tree I have seen this season caught my eye. Right there on the front lawn of the school, this is what I saw stepping out onto the porch in the chilly morning air:

I just love the colors, the green with the orange, yellow, and red tips. I took the picture for inspiration next time I bust out the dye pot. I just imagine a pretty, lacy scarf all green and open, with ends slowly turning from yellow, to orange and finally to red. Or a nice shawl, with red points and a variegated body of greens and yellows. I love that tree-just gazing at it and all the possibilities it holds.

Of course this is fall in Michigan, and true to the name of the season, the leaves fall-fast. I was out on Monday, going across the street to the annual school Halloween parade, and I realized my tree was almost naked. I forgot to take a picture, but made sure I got one today:


Look at my sad little tree now. One red leave clings on, along with a few other stragglers, but that is it. Just like that, it is all laying on the ground. Sigh. I just love the leaves as they turn, but it is so fast if I blink I miss it. By the way, this little tree is special to me for another reason. See that classroom in the background? It is now the kindergarten classroom, but a very long time ago it was the first grade room, to which I was a student in. Our class planted that tree, as the room got very hot in the afternoon. It was just a sapling when it was planted, and Mrs. McKellar explained to us that while we would not benefit from its shade, some day other kids would. Living a stone's throw away, I made sure no one stepped or ran over the tree after school hours, and watched it grow and grow until it was full enough to provide ample shade. My daughter attended kindergarten last year in that very room, and kept nice and cool on sunny days thanks to its full branches. I love that little tree.

On that note, here is the shawl I am working on for my mother-in-law's Christmas(yikes!!!) gift. It is Knitpicks Gossamer Trail. I just love the colors, especially this time of year. It is like fall foliage at my fingertips. The pattern is from the current issue of Magknits, the Three Shawl Project's "Frozen Lake". It is really easy to memorize, and I just cast on last night and have not worked on it much. Hopefully tonight I will be able to make some real progress.


Until next time....

3 Comments:

  • VERY pretty Autumness =) purrrfect colors. Welcome back to the Blogdom

    By Blogger JustApril, at 8:26 PM  

  • It truly is fall foliage at your fingertips. Lovely! :)

    By Blogger Lolly, at 9:09 AM  

  • You write so beautifully! What a poignant story about that tree- the colors are so wonderful. The Gossamer you're using is so perfect for fall. The shawl pattern caught my eye in MagKnits, so I'm excited to see how yours turns out! :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home