Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

You Can't Always Get What You Want......


...but sometimes you do get what you wish for. In my case, I am talking snow. People, it is snowing-a lot. Well, at least more than I thought it was going to. I know what I said yesterday, but after a couple of hours watching it fall today, I quickly changed my mind. All of a sudden I realized that if it is snowing, then the holidays must be coming (yipes-it is Thanksgiving in the states next week!), and when I turn on the radio, a certain station is already playing continual Christmas music from now until December 26. I guess there is no denying that time is running short-which brings me to this:


Yep, holiday knit item #3 (#1 is the shawl for my MIL, #2 is Branching Out for Auntie). Jennifer over at knit,mama! KNIT! had a brilliant idea and decided to start this. Much like Chris, I decided the communal pressure might make me actually accomplish something in the upcoming weeks, so I'm game. I started the above beauty for my brother's wife, Marcy. Her favorite color is pink, and the Knit Picks Palette in Blush is the perfect shade for her. The pattern is here, and I am planning on adding some pretty beads to dangle on the ends, but that is thinking waaaay ahead. So I will turn your attention to giftie #4, which is the beginning of a sock for a dear friend. She loves unique, comfy socks, and since these are for Christmas, I decided to do a snowflake motif. The pattern is modified from this chart (second one) and the sock is just a generic, cast-on-and-hope-it-works-kind-of-thing done in Wool-Ease. I adore Beth, but this chick would have them felted the first time she washed them, so a blend is best. I like the Wool-Ease for socks; knits up fast, holds up well, and is nice and toasty.

Because kids love the snow, and here in Michigan, just because it snows one day doesn't mean it won't be 70 degrees the next, I had to take the 'first snow' picture of the season. Miss V didn't even come in after school, but instead went straight out back. That is the beauty of childhood-finding joys in the simple things of life. Of course, then you grow up, and the snow shovel beckons. :-/


Enjoy it while it last honey-both childhood and the snow.



3 Comments:

  • Your pink scarf is beautiful!! It looks so much prettier than the one in the pattern. And it'll be even more fantabulous once you add the dangling beads. But I'm sure you knew that already. ;-) The snowflake sock for your friend is beautiful, too. Look at you, tackling all of this colorwork for Christmas! You make Wool-Ease look like luxurious cashmere. Me? My Wool-Ease socks look like cheap, acrylic heaps. I'm envious! And that snow is amazing...38 days and counting....is the eczema making you feel itchy yet? ;-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 9:23 PM  

  • What beautiful lace! Looks like you're making tons of progress on Christmas gifts. Good luck on all of your projects!

    By Blogger Megan, at 10:14 AM  

  • I want snow here! Perhaps I should move to MI ;) Pretty pictures!

    Your pink lace is lovely, Teresa. As is the sock. I am not doing any holiday knitting this year (I can't!) but I hope to get some gifts for the family's birthdays next year.

    Take care!

    By Blogger Lolly, at 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home