Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The doldrums


They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but in the blog world absence just makes people forget about you. So I thought I better jump back in and post something, lest my fifteen minutes of blogdom fame ends. To be honest, this is one of the hardest parts of the year for me, motivation wise. The hype of the holidays is over, and a new year is at hand. I am like a lot of you out there, exhausted and weary from travel, shopping, knitting up gifts-what have you. The sun was out yesterday, which was a warm and welcome change, but most days are spent gray and dull. I go to a (new!) doctor tomorrow, and plan on talking her ear off. Hopefully she will have some good suggestions to get me back into the swing of things.

However, there has been knitting here in the household-although nothing too exciting. For the what's your skein kal, I whipped up a couple of beauties, and you can read more about them here, as well as all the other great things the girls are doing with just one skein! In some exciting news (well, at least for me), my Knitpicks order came in the mail today. Here is what is in store:



There are 4 hanks of Campfire Shadow, along with the Sweet Mary Jane pattern that it will be used for; 8 balls of Avocado Wool of the Andes, to be knit into this.

I don't know what one I will start first. I think I will go with Stef's Forecast, because that is a good winter knit. MJ is something I can wear into spring/summer, so I will put that on the back burner for right now. Or at least until I can't stand it anymore and cast on. We shall see.

Last weekend the fam went and did a little second-hand shopping. I did get a big ol' bag of bulky virgin wool for 4 bucks. I don't know exactly how many yards yet, but I did dye it with orange Kool-Aid, and I am happy with the results. I also bought a sweater for a $1.25 that I quickly dismantled. It is acrylic, but is super soft, and just over 500 yards. I plan on making something for Miss V with it, because she really likes the colors and I think it will make a nice, bright something for her.

I also promised Adam that I would start working on his sweater, but I have not decided what to do as of yet. Lolly got me thinking with her great sweater she knit up for Kris-its a beaut! I will have to think about it a bit more. He has waited this long, he can wait just a little bit more.

Ok-back to work. I am still trying to find homes for all the new toys and games. I think the only solution is a bigger house. Yeah, right-in my dreams.

One more quick thing. It is de-lurking week, so I would appreciate a shout out in the comments-just a simple 'hi' is cool. There is a big chance my feelings are going to get hurt here, as I realize there are only five of you who read this blog. Oh well, I'll get over it....



No really, I'll be ok-just pass me the Kleenex and chocolate.

5 Comments:

  • Happy New Year, Teresa! I think feeling a little lackluster about the knitting is pretty normal after the holidays, but I'm sure your fabulous new yarn and patterns will get you back into the swing in no time! I can't wait to see how your cardigan turns out. I keep seeing the pattern in the Knit Picks catalog and I'm always so tempted to give it a try. You know I'm loving the Avocado for Forecast, too. ;-) I'm still looking for homes for all the new toys, too, but for some reason, the kids don't seem to think the toilet seat cover is very viable. The new home idea is sounding better and better. ;-) Take care! :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 4:44 PM  

  • Hi! The yarn from Knit Picks is lovely... I want, i want..

    By Blogger Cat, at 3:27 AM  

  • Okay...no more lurking for me. I've actually found that I was pretty excited to start post-holiday knitting, since it meant that I could finally be selfish again and make something fabulous for myself. :) I'm working on Birch right now, which, incidentally, I'm making out of KnitPicks Shadow. I promise you'll *love* working with it. I can't wait to see how your Sweet Mary Jane turns out. I've been eyeing it for a while, too, and I look forward to seeing yours...

    By Blogger kdk, at 9:02 AM  

  • Teresa - I am so glad you blog now. It really is amazing that we have followed the same path since we both started knitting around the same time. I know that it can sometimes be tough to keep the blog going, but I do so love reading and seeing your projects!

    I bought Stef's pattern for the bulky version of that cardigan - I loved it so. Then she came out with the worsted free pattern, and now I am leaning towards that! Love the smaller gauge. I am torn, since I did have the yarn for the other one. Love the yarn you got for it though - great color!

    Thanks for the nice compliment - Kris's sweater was so fun. I am already thinking about another one in a lighter weight - maybe cotton - for spring/fall wear. Maybe a knit-together is in order? ;)

    Take care, dearie!

    By Blogger Lolly, at 2:29 PM  

  • hey, T - welcome back to blogsville! i know what you mean about blogging pauses, but there's only so much time in a day and sometimes you just need/deserve a break. besides, it's not necessarily the frequency of your posts, moreso what you say.
    so long as you have earned space on our sidebars, we'll keep checking in on you. so don't dive too far into that vat o' chocolate!

    By Blogger jennifer, at 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home