Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I do NOT have a problem-I can quit anytime...

Scottie is slowly getting a cold. I say slowly because a running nose started Monday, a cough was added Tuesday, and today there is lethargy and whining that invariably rears its ugly head. Yep-he is an unpleasant little lump on the couch, with red cheeks, glassy eyes, and running nose. Sigh...doncha' just love cold and flu season? Actually, our house has been pretty lucky this season so far, although we tend to get hit the hardest in March. Maybe this year we can dodge that bullet-as they say, hope springs eternal. For the mean time, Scottie is drinking lots of fluids and resting-and there's a little extra spoiling from mom and dad (and sissy too!).

Yesterday I had another PT appt, and needless to say it was almost the last. The first appt was with the therapist that was covering for the regular therapist, as he was on vacation. This was the first meeting with the therapist who would be treating me, and I will call him J (for the sake of privacy). J asked me what kind of work I do, and I told him it was the kind you don't get paid for-housework and child raising (this drew no response, and I could see that J and I were going to get along real well). He then asked me if I had any hobbies or anything that would make me look down a lot, like reading. I said that I do enjoy reading quite a bit, but what I spent most of my free time doing was knitting. J looked up from my chart, and with a serious look on his face said "aha-so that is the problem." Uh...problem. Helloooo-knitting is anything but a problem. Well, maybe my husband would call it that-at least he might say I have a 'yarn buying problem'. But knitting itself? The problem! Are you kidding me man-it is the only thing that keeps me sane!!! Of course, that conversation only took place in my mind, but I am sure the look of horror on my face said it all, because he quickly told me that the problem wasn't the knitting itself, but the way I was doing it-or rather the way I was holding it. This made me feel a little better, although the first thing I thought was I am NOT going back to throwing, because I am way too slow. I am picker-and a picker I will stay! It is the only way I can make any real progress in the amount of time I have to knit a day! Figuring that J was probably not a knitter himself, I decided to keep my mouth shut, lest he think I was crazier than I really am. He informed me that the best thing for me to do when I am reading or knitting is to put several pillows on my lap for my arms to rest on, and that way I am not putting so much strain on my back looking down. Ok-that I can handle. Now if I can just find a knitting bag that will accommodate a couple of pillows, I'm golden.

And while we are on the subject of knitting, here is my progress thus far on Forecast. I am really digging this design, although the bobbles are a little time consuming because I suck at them. My lay all flat and deflated, so I keep fluffing the ones on the previous row every time I come across them. I am also all thumbs with a cable needle (it is really quite something to see), so I went over to Wendy's no cable needle tutorial, and happy to report I am now cable needle free and lovin' it! It has helped me work a little bit faster, and I need all the help I can get.

Alright, back to my little patient-he needs some more juice. And stay healthy out there in blog land-I don't make housecalls.


3 Comments:

  • So sorry to hear that Scottie's under the weather- hope he's feeling better and on the mend soon. And I hope that your PT goes on vacation for a loooooong time soon. ;-) Talk about bedside manner, huh? I know he's trying to help, but countering someone's passion in life probably isn't the way to go about it. Pillows sound do-able- at least he didn't tell you to give up knitting! On the upside, your Forecast looks beautiful! And I love Wendy's no-cable tutorial, too. I also like Grumperina's tutorial on the same topic. Take care! :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 1:30 AM  

  • So, howsabout some inflatable pillows? I think you could get some cheap at a camping store. You could carry them, deflated, in your bag, until you got where you were going. It might take you a little bit of time to blow them up, so probably not a good suggestion for a short wait, but it's better than not knitting at all, or injuring yourself while knitting.
    Or you could learn how to knit without looking at it. (I'm working on that, myself.)

    By Anonymous Carrie, at 3:13 PM  

  • Well he just sounds like a very pleasant person to be around... yuck. Thank you for the tips on the pillows - both here, and the other day. That is a great thing to know.

    Best to Scottie - hope he feels better soon!

    Have a good weekend, dear Teresa!

    By Blogger Lolly, at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home