Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Progress, challenge, and a dream

So I went to a new doctor last Thursday, and thankfully I was very impressed with her. I had been seeing my previous doc since she started in practice-about 13 years. She saw me get married, delivered my two children, became their doctor, and lots of other stuff, both good and bad. She is an excellent doctor, and as such is constantly overbooked. As much as it hurt to do, I had to switch doctors when they told me she was scheduling physicals two years out. Yeah-I don't think so. Fortunately for me, my sister's best friend is a PAC, and was able to make some recommendations, and I am happy with my choice. I have had back pain since puberty, and while it has only gotten worse the older I get, the last few months have really been rough. The pain was in such an odd place- right between my shoulders blades. She recommended Physical Therapy, and also gave me some anti-inflammatory meds to take. I had my first p.t. appt on Friday, and wow-what a difference. The therapist said that I had great flexibility, but the right side of my back was immobilized due to its overcompensation for the weaker left side. She mobilized the spot on my spine that was bothering me, along with another spot, and *gasp*-no more pain! I could knit again! The pain had been hampering my knitting, as I could only go for short burst and then would have to sit with a heating pad till I felt better. I am going to go to p.t. for a few weeks, and along with the home exercises they gave me to do, hopefully I will be back to my old self again soon.

I am glad to say that feeling better physically has made me feel better mentally, as it often does, and I was able to start my Forecast this past weekend. I did not work on it a whole lot, mostly because I had felt better than I had in a good long while and I wanted to get some things done around the house that I had been neglecting. That along with the fact that Miss V had a friend sleep over Friday night, which found Adam and I in the minority. The kids overtook what seemed like every room in the house, which is not saying much since our house is so small, but a lot of fun was had by everyone. I got the most progress done yesterday, but had to go in the afternoon and highlight my mom's hair, and then it was bath time for the kiddies, and by the end of it all I was tired. It was the most I had done in 48 hours in a good long time. Here she is so far:



Those are the strengthing exercises I have to do in the background. Not much-but the therapist said they would make a big difference. Lets hope so!

In other news, the Olympics are fast approaching. I just love the Olympics, especially the Winter Olympics. This is such a blah time of year, and they help to pass the time, and the site of the Olympic torch is fantastic. I also can't help but feel a lot proud when I hear the "Star Spangled Banner" played as an American proudly wears gold around his/her neck. I also enjoy all the events, and it is just a lot of fun watching the athletes from all the different countries-they are spectacular. I have no thought I had no athletic ability at all-until I read Stephanie's (Yarn Harlot) blog today. Seems she wants knitting to be an event-at least in her little corner of the world. So she has issued a challenge: cast on when the flame is lit, and be finished by the time it is extinguished. That gives you 16, yes sixteen, days to start and complete something. I have chosen to knit up the Sweet Mary Jane Cardigan. First off, I really want to knit this sweater, and can not wait to see how it turns out. I am in love with the color of the yarn (Campfire), and look & fondle it daily. Second, although it is not a difficult lace pattern, it is still lace, and therefore open to lots of "oops" moments (hopefully not too many). Third, as much as I love the yarn, I am not good with lace weight. My mom used to say I have the delicate touch of 'bull in a china shop', and still do to this day. Many lace projects have been put aside due to my knack of not only breaking the yarn with my constant yanking and pulling, but also the awful tangled mess I seem to make out of the ball of yarn. Fourth (and probably my biggest obstacle) is the kids. Moreover, trying to get anything done in sixteen days when a seven year old who likes to start more "projects" than she likes to finish (hmmm...don't know where she gets that from), yet every stinking one of them somehow requires my assistance. And then there is Scottie, who at four could enter in a few Olympic events of his own, such as:

The Mom Climb
Cutting Everything But Paper
Playing Catch Until Mom's Arm Is Ready To Fall Off
The Bathroom Dash (aka Just Making It!)
Toy Hurdling (especially at fishtank or windows)
Toy Box Tipping
Juice Spilling
Counter Climbing

I could go on, but I am sure you get the picture. If you want to sign up for the Knitting Olympics, just click on the link and go for it. If not, then how about cheering on those of us lunatics who are competing? Come on-let's bring home Knitting Gold in 2006!!!


As many of you know, today is Marting Luther King Day. I kept thinking all day what to say about it, how important MLK was, how beautiful his "dream". Then Miss V brought home something in her backpack, and I think it says it all.

"He Had a Dream"
Martin Luther King, Jr., gave us a gift. His gift was a dream.
He dreamed that people of all colors would get along.
They would work together.
They would play together.
They would eat together.
They would drink together.
They would laugh together.
They would cry together.
Celebrate the dream.
Celebrate indeed.

4 Comments:

  • Hey sweetie, so glad to hear you're feeling better! And you're totally right about that physical/mental connection. I'm glad that the PT is helping with the pain- that's definitely no fun. And besides, you've got a counter-climbing 4 year you've got to keep up with! I'm an Olympic contender in that event, too. ;-) Your Forecast is looking amazing and that color is fabulous!! You know I'm all over that green. And I can't wait to see your sweet Mary Jane- you knit so darned fast, I know you can finish it in 16 days. And last, but not least, thank you for remembering MLK in your post. What a wonderful tribute! Take care, Teresa! :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 1:57 AM  

  • Hey girl! That is really amazing news about the physical therapy. I am actually plagued by the same back pain - right in between the shoulder blades. I just assumed it had something to do with the double Ds on the other side :( I am hoping that some exercise will ease that...

    I think that the Mary Jane is a perfect Olympic knit - that is a fun idea! I have not really stepped into lace yet - just simple patterns. I lookin forward to seeing yours. I love the Forecast! That color is beautiful - I think it will look great with your hair ;)

    By Blogger Lolly, at 10:26 AM  

  • so glad you are feeling a bit better - pt does wonders! hope you continue to enjoy it and reap the benefits.
    i'm going to enter the knitting olympics as well, but i need to find the perfect pattern... see you at opening ceremonies!

    By Blogger jennifer, at 2:58 PM  

  • Hi Teresa, I'm doing the Sweet Mary Jane cardi too for the Knitting Olympics. Just thought I'd stop by and commiserate about lace with you. I hadn't thought of breaking the yarn, another thing for me to watch out for!

    By Anonymous Amanda, at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home