Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Cast on, flame lit

The torch is burning, and as you can see by the picture, SMJ has been officially cast-on. All 252 stitches, long-tailed cast on. That, my friends, is the worst part for me. If I could pay my kids to cast on and off for me, I would surely do it. Yuck. Since I am trying my hardest to embody the spirit of a true Olympian, I sucked it up and cast on about 3:00pm yesterday afternoon. The official start time was 2:00pm-wherever that finds you. I wasn't able to start at exactly two, although I had everything laid out and ready to go - but, as fate would have it, my sister popped in for a visit. Knowing that 252 stitches would need my full attention, I silenced the little voice in me that was yelling "throw her out! This is the Olympics we are talking about! Come on, get to it!! This is GO TIME!!", and instead enjoyed the visit. As soon as she was out the door, however, I made a beeline to the couch and it was time to throw down. When the flame was finally lit (after a great opening ceremony), I was roughly 3 inches into it. As of today I am up to 5 inches, which is pretty good considering I only got to work on it yesterday for an hour or so. My mom bought a sewing machine for herself shortly before Christmas, and of course decided yesterday she would actually like to learn to sew something. Her first project? A blanket for her newest grandchild-on-the-way. It is a fleece quilt kit, with all the squares precut. However, my mom has never sewn before, and it is safe to say I do not get my crafty talents from her. So yesterday was spent with me repeating things a million times and her not understanding a million times. Whew. We will resume today, but we both needed a break. I know she really wants to make this as much as possible by herself-she even bought "Handmade with Love by Grandma" tags to sew on it, so I am trying to just guide her even though every bone in my body wants to jump in and just do it myself. I am much better at stifling that desire since I became a mom, but it is still hard for me to not just take over. She has never made anything for my kids, and I know she wants to, but it is also due to the fact that my MIL is a master seamstress and very, very crafty. So that kinds of discourages her, no matter how many times I tell her it is not how good the finished object is, it is most meaningful because it was made with love especially for them. So this weekend is pretty much shot as far as knitting time is concerned, but sometimes something bigger comes up (oh, the blasphemy!).

I did finish my RHSS on Thursday. I cast off at about 11:00 pm, and then hit the hay. When the alarm rang Friday morning, I did not want to get out of bed, but then, as pathetic as it sounds, I remembered I had a brand new pair of socks waiting for me. That, and the fact that it was Friday, made me jump right out of bed and get going. Sad, I know. I have no life. The socks are really comfy, and I always forget just how much I love a nice pair of hand-knit socks. I don't know why I am not knitting more. Lolly has some fantastic sock yarns, and every time I see them I am simply green with envy. With all the great sock patterns and yarn, I think I will have to increase my sock production. It is shameful that every one in my household does not have knitted socks covering their tootsies.



This is the second pair of socks I have knit with the Moda*Dea, and I am not real crazy about the yarn-it just does not hold it's shape well, but the yarn was a gift and it was red, so I put it to good use. Even going down a needle size, it still isn't a tight knit. One of these days I have to get out of the ghetto and buy myself some decent sock yarn. Perhaps after the Knitting Olympics. At the very least, these are nice socks to pad around the house in, which is where I spend most of my time anyhow. Remember, I have no life.

On that note, I should go throw in yet another load of laundry, and maybe sneak in some Olympic knitting before my mother calls me into battle to help her out. Hope you all are enjoying a fantastic weekend!

p.s.-good luck to my fellow Knitting Olympians!!

5 Comments:

  • Sounds like our lives are equally exciting at the moment! ;-) I'm definitely not knocking it, though... I'd much rather have laundry and socks to look forward to than some of the other soap opera dramas I see my friends enduring. No news is good news is my motto! You've made some awesome progress on your SMJ, especially considering that it's only been 2 days- and mom and sis notwithstanding. ;-) It's so sweet that your mom is so enthused about sewing the baby blanket. I'll be sending good bobbin and threading vibes so that you can BOTH make lots of progress this weekend! Take care, Teresa! :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 3:17 PM  

  • Teresa, your RHSS socks are great! I just adore them.

    And a calm life with new socks IS SO A LIFE! It's just like mine! GRIN. I'll take "boring and calm" over turmoil anyday. (Not that you said boring exactly but... )

    By Anonymous Becky / Knitting Interrupted, at 4:14 PM  

  • Your doing great on your Olympic knitting. I love those socks!

    By Anonymous Kelly, at 5:48 AM  

  • LOVE the socks! That yarn is a dead ringer for Opal. It looks similar to some socks I made in Socktoberfest! Gosh, there is nothing like socks ;) Go ahead and knit more! I am planning to make one for each month of Project Spectrum. We'll see if that happens...

    Love,
    L

    By Blogger Lolly, at 7:49 AM  

  • Part of the Olympic challenge of this project for me is making it for myself...I'm a large person...so yeah, casting on was not fun!!! I'm making the 3X size, which meant over 300 cast on stitches. Whew! My kids fled the room as I cursed and counted and cursed some more.

    By Anonymous Katrina, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home