Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Good Day Sunshine

Well, my sister has an appointment with her OBGYN next Thursday, and needless to say we are all looking forward to it. Because the pregnancy wasn't really planned, she does not know for sure when she became pregnant. Like my mother and I, her periods are all wonky and the last one she had in the beginning of December, but not very heavy. So we are anxious to see how far along she is and her due date. It is so frustrating to have to wait. When I was pregnant with Miss V, I had no idea. I had a little nausea, and was tired-but I thought I had cancer or something. It was only after a couple of months with no period that I took a home pregnancy test, and when I saw the results you could have knocked me over with a feather. When I called the doc the next day, they asked when I thought I had conceived, and I was honest-I had no idea. They saw me a few days later and my doc figured I was maybe six weeks. Fast forward a week to the ultrasound appt, and there on the monitor was a baby-a twelve week old baby. Wow. Talk about your surprises. With Scottie, I knew pretty much when I got pregnant, so it was a lot different. So I wait (not so) patiently until next Thursday, and hopefully all will check out well and I will know a little more. Cause you know, its all about me. ;-)



In knitting news, I finished one Red Hot Sock yesterday. In fact, yesterday was a pretty productive day. I not only finished the sock and cast on for the other, but I also did up my swatch for the Knitting Olympics. Like a lot of you out there, I don't enjoy the swatching, and although I am usually sorry I didn't swatch before I cast on a project, much like my children I have a hard time learning my lesson. However, the swatch for the SMJ is a sachet, mostly due to the fact that the main body of the pattern is lace and this not only incorporates the lace, but you also get this cute little decoration to fill with potpourri (as I did) or soap, or whatever tickles your fancy. This is the kind of swatch I can live with-informative and cute.




Pictures were taken outside today because the sun was shining brightly, and even though the air is cold the sun feels sooooo good. I ran out to Fields Fabrics and picked up my buttons and ribbon for the collar, and was glad that I was able to find something I could live with. I prefer vintage buttons, but did not have any the right size or color, and have been unlucky in my search. These looked good and cost me a whole $2.00. The ribbon was an even better deal at $ .87 for the whole spool. Yeah, just call me big spender. Here's a close up of the buttons:


The big Cast-On is tomorrow at 2:00pm, and I must admit I am a little jittery. I have no idea why, but every time I look at the pattern and the yarn my nerves feel all jangled. Perhaps it is the anticipation, or the fact that there are so many out there doing this-I don't know, but I am eager to start.

And I know I will be eager to finish.

5 Comments:

  • The sachet looks great and I'm lovin' that color! I opted for just going a small swatch. I'm also very nervous about casting on. I learned from another Olympic knitter that there is an errata page on KnitPicks concerning this pattern. Did you see that?
    SMJ Corrections

    By Anonymous Katrina, at 2:40 PM  

  • That is going to be *gorgeous*! I agree -- great color choice. I'm excited to see how it turns out. :)

    By Blogger kdk, at 3:32 PM  

  • I had to laugh when you said that you thought you had cancer when you were pregnant with V. Not that cancer is funny, because it's not, but you know what I mean. That first trimester pretty much does feel like you're dying, and I can see why that might cross your mind, especially if you're not aware that you're pregnant. Your sachet is so pretty! And I love the color you chose for your SMJ. I've been wanting to knit SMJ, so I'm really interested to see yours and find out how you like the pattern. Good luck with the Olympics- I'm cheering you on!! Take care, Teresa! :-)

    By Blogger candsmom, at 2:55 AM  

  • I will be knitting Sweet Mary Jane for the knitting Olympics as well. Good Luck!

    By Anonymous Kelly, at 4:58 AM  

  • I am so embarrasingly behind on some knitblogs - I am so sorry, T! Wow, that is great about your sister! Aunty Teresa! I had to laugh at your pregnancy stories. I have none to share! I can imagine that you were quite surprised with a 12 week old though! wow!

    Sweet Mary Jane is lovely, and I wish you the best of luck with it in the Olympics. I will cheer you on from the stands ;)

    By Blogger Lolly, at 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home