Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Friday, March 31, 2006

So, sew busy....

...or should I say I have been busy sewing. Lately I have been sitting at my sewing machine, sewing up all sorts of things. Well, that isn't really true-I have mostly been sewing up purses and bags. It struck me funny that the new Sew?I knit! project is a bag, because that is one of my favorite things to design and sew. It all started last week when my mom and my SIL asked me to sew them a couple of purses, and then I ended up making a totebag with some leftovers for my sister. Then Miss V asked me if I could make her a bag....and I have not stopped since. Silly me-I took no pictures of the bags I made my mom, sis, and SIL, but here are the others I have been working on:







Purse of my own design, with a belt my mom gave me for the handle.











This one is from a pattern that I sewed for myself. I just love this Asian print and the polka dot material I used as the lining!










Tote bag from 'Stitch-n-Bitch' pattern, with a little applique flower and a vintage print on it-in pink for Project Spectrum!







Messenger bag, from a pattern, for Miss V. I got this heavy material for two bucks a yard-woohoo!!










Another self-designed purse, in a cute pattern that resembles clothing ads, with middle panel of fashion ladies added. Those are its handles I made for it-just too lazy to attach them.








I had a lot of fun designing this little 'cowgirl' bag. I liked the contrasting panel on the purse above, so I repeated that idea here. Then I glued on a piece of brown felt and stitched a pink cowgirl hat on. Not sure if I really dig the handles I made...










These two bags I designed have no handles yet. For the polka dot, I want to use round wooden beads, but I think I am going to have to paint my own. The other bag has little gold sparkles on it, so I haven't decided what kind of handle I am going with yet.




Sometimes I really get into my sewing. Just small projects, but they bring instant gratification. While I can get just as frustrated at it as anything else, for some reason ripping out a seam is way less painful to me than frogging a mistake in my knitting. Now don't get me wrong-I adore my knitting. It is just the ebb and tide of my life, and right now sewing is what I am doing the most of. I haven't really posted about it because I kind of feel unfaithful, what with my blog called 'Kniftyknitter', and there hasn't been anything knifty or knitted in a while. I did cast on for my first pair of
Jaywalkers, in a rainbow yarn in honor of Project Spectrum.


*this is Regia Nation sock yarn, but the labels are missing so I am not sure on the exact name of the colorway*

Speaking of Project Spectrum, today is the last day of March, and therefore we are saying goodbye to red/pink and hello to orange/yellow. I really enjoyed exploring March's colors, even if at first I was not big on them. The whole point of PS is to look at and discover the colors surrounding us, and thanks to many bloggers, and of course the PS flickr page, I got to appreciate red and pink in a whole new way. I often think about colors as "will it look good on me", and since I never wear red and only have a few muted pink items, I had a very limited opinion on the colors. Now I realize to look for the colors everywhere, and all the fantastic images I have seen this month, along with my own searching for the colors, has really opened my eyes.

Having said that, I do enjoy orange and yellow very much, and really look forward to exploring them more. They are two colors that make me feel really happy, and I can't wait to see how others interpret and incorporate them. So goodbye March-you were fun and a learning experience; hello April-let's see what you will become....

Have a great weekend!

6 Comments:

  • I am really looking forward to April as well. Orange and yellow aren't my preferred colors to work with, but I'm gaining a new appreciation for them already just by looking at all the wonderful yellow and oranges in nature.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 7:51 PM  

  • ooh fun! those look awesome! i've been wanting to sew some, but have gotten caught up with knit stuff. soon though! also wanted to ask... have you also had trouble accessing the PS (Lolly's) blog? I'm totally out of the PS loop :(

    By Blogger tatjana, at 12:13 PM  

  • Those purses are cool. I really like the black and white one and the floral one and the....okay, all of them. I've got fabric and plans for a few purses of my own, just not the time.

    Cheating on your knitting! That's so funny! I feel that way sometimes when I'm reading, much less sewing.

    By Blogger Carrie K, at 1:36 PM  

  • I *love* the purses! How much fun. You are so talented, Miss T! I have some fabric for a purse this month - we'll see if I get to it ;) I am so excited about orange and yellow. I have so much planned!

    By Blogger Lolly, at 8:56 AM  

  • The socks look great and when oh when will you be selling the purses to those of us who have no sewing talent?

    By Blogger Melissa, at 12:26 PM  

  • Teresa, I did Jaywalkers for my son in the exact same colourway! He loves them!

    By Blogger Cynthia, at 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home