Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Love and death



My sock is coming along fine and still striping beautifully (well done Sarah!). I just started to turn the heel last night-I can't wait to get these beauties done and on my feet. Hopefully this will be by the end of the month, so I can get them done in time for Aprils colors!





My mother-in-laws birthday is tomorrow, and since we will not see her for probably another couple of weeks, when we can give her a gift in person, I wanted to send her a little something. She collects hearts, and I found this cute pattern(I will try to post the link later-right now it is not working!) and decided to make her one. This only took about an hour, then I threw it in with a load of laundry, shaped it, and went to bed. When I woke up this morning it was a nice little heart, ready to be filled and sent off with her cards. I am going to fill it with Hugs & Kisses. Appropriate, don't you think?












The other project that has been keeping me busy is the gift I am making for my mom. Her birthday is May 2nd, which can be a real pain in the butt because Mother's Day is so close. I never know what to do-get her one large gift for both? Two smaller gifts for each occasion? What to get her from the kids? Usually, I end up getting her something less sentimental for her birthday-like clothes-and have the kids get her a little something as well. Then on Mom's Day I get her something personalized, and so do the kids. This year she is into bike riding, so I will have the kids get her some accessories, since she has not ridden a bike for many years. I am making her a memory quilt, which she is not getting until Mother's Day. Here is why:


There it is-64 squares of fabric. I also have to get the family members to trace their hands, and write a message on a heart-all of which gets appliqued to the squares. Fortunately there is only 14 of us, or else I would have picked a different quilt. I like the this one though, because it not only has the personal messages but the outline of the hands, which will mean even more in years to come. Still a lot of work ahead on it, so my knitting time will be cut short for the next few weeks. :-(


Tonight I have to go to a funereal. My dad's cousin ended his life on Tuesday, a sad ending to a very troubled life. He leaves behind two kids-16 and 12-as well as his wife, brother and family, and his dad. I feel just awful for my dad's uncle. This is the second son he will bury. His youngest boy died in an accident at 21. If that is not bad enough, right after WWII (which my grandpa and all three of his brothers served in, one in each branch), his youngest brother was killed in a traffic accident. About 20 years ago his oldest brother passed, and 10 years ago my grandpa left us. My dad's uncle arrived at the house by a freak chance just minutes after my grandpa died. A few years back his wife had a stroke, and passed away last March. Two weeks later, his younger sister died unexpectedly. And now this. He has one older sister left, but she lives very far away and due to her health can not travel. It must be terrible to bury almost all your siblings, and then out live not only one son but two. Parents should never have to bury their children-it is such an awful thing.

My dad grew up with his cousin, and at one time were as close as brothers. My dad and mom married young (18 & 19), and soon his cousin was into drugs and drinking heavily. He married and had kids and quit the drugs, but could never stop hitting the bottle. He could not hold a steady job, and on top of all that had serious mental health issues. His wife finally had to leave him, as he was endangering the children (he would try to take them places in the car when he was drunk, and so on), and after his mom died last year he just gave up on life. His family tried to get him help, but you can only lead a horse to water but can't make him drink-especially if it is water not alcohol. He was living with his dad, and in a series of tragedies that only seem to go from bad to worse, his dad was the one who found him Tuesday morning.

So it with a very heavy heart that I am going through my day. I feel for so many-his kids, his dad, my dad-and no matter what he lived his life like it is always heartbreaking when someone takes their own life. To be in place where you think the only solution is to not exist anymore-the mind can be some people's prison.

Sorry to be such a downer-I am not trying to piss and moan. I know as well as anyone that part of life is dying, but sometimes it just seems the way it happens is so unfair. I promise a lighter post next time. Until then.

4 Comments:

  • I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss. It sounds like he had a very rough time of it, all the way to the end. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 3:06 PM  

  • I'm so excited to see that sock continue to grow - thanks for knitting it up!

    And my condolences on your loss as well...

    By Anonymous Sarah, at 10:03 PM  

  • Teresa - sorry for your family's loss. Life is sometimes just cruel, not only because of death, but because of how some lives are led.

    By Blogger christine, at 8:37 AM  

  • I'm sorry for your loss. And it's not pissing and moaning, it's dealing with life - and death. Some people aren't very good at it, and it's just a sad, sad thing for everyone concerned.

    The socks look great.

    By Blogger Carrie K, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home