Knifty Knitter

One husband, two kids, lots of pets, little time to knit. Yet I find time anyway.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Spring Break(Me)

I am still battling the same ol' virus, and it never seems to fail at around 4:30 in the morning I have a coughing fit-so much so that I have been moving to the couch at that time so at least Adam can get some sleep. The weather around here doesn't help, as it is mild one day and snow flurries the next. Spring in Michigan sucks.

That has not stopped me from getting some things done, as there are a few things that I do have to do. The first is my card for the Project Spectrum Postcard Swap. This month my pal is Moxie, and I had a couple of ideas on what to do, but I am happy with my final choice. I used glitter with this one, and now I remember why I dislike this stuff so much. Everyone, including the cats, seem to have a little sparkle to them, and I will probably still be vacuuming it up in the days to come. I also dyed my yarn for the PS Yarn Swap, and the only down side to that adventure was that I did not wear gloves and ended up painting my fingernails just to hide the fact that they were a brownish orange. Yuck. I am really happy with how the yarn turned out, and hopefully Sarah will enjoy it as well! I used Knitpicks Paint Your Own and also a ball of Patons Classic Merino (winter white), along with Tangerine, Orange, and Lemonade Kool-aid. Actually, the laceweight was dyed with Cherry first, then overdyed with the Orange, and then the Tangerine was 'painted' on last. I had to be really careful with it because I did not want it to felt! Dyeing yarn is so much fun, and doing it for Project Spectrum with the different colors of the month is genius! Thanks for such an awesome idea Zarah!


The other project I have been working on is for the design lab contest Glampyre Stefanie is having. Go on over to her blog and check it out! There are a few things I would like to design, but I am totally lazy and never get around to swatching them, so I jumped on this opportunity. I will probably be sending my submission over to her soon, but for now here is a little hint. You didn't really think I was going to show you all of it, did you? ;-) Stef is one of my all time favorite designers, and I am totally jazzed that she has a book coming out next year. I have been reading her blog for a long time now, and it has been a lot of fun to watch her grow as a designer. I am also anxious to see the design ideas people are coming up with-it is really interesting to see what is rattling around in knitter's minds. Stay tuned!

I have still been spending a lot of hours in front of the sewing machine, although this week nothing much has been done on anything due to Spring Break 2006. Miss V is full of energy (and ideas), so everything else has been pushed to the wayside to make room for kid-style fun (which is never, ever the same as adult-style fun). I did start a baby blanket for my sister, to put in her 'baby' Easter basket my mom is making up. It is the
pinwheel blanket pattern, made with some baby yarn that I dyed with cherry jello. The yarn is acrylic and nylon, and as you can see in the pic, on the left is what the original yarn looked like. The nylon was a rainbow of colors, but after the dye bath it turned to different shades of red. I am using the mint color along with it just to accentuate the mint color in the other yarn. I also would love to knit up these bunny booties I found in an old craft mag my MIL gave me-they would be so cute for next Easter!

Anything else? Oh yeah-I colored my hair! In the spring I always want a new color. I usually stick with something in the red family, since I am naturally a red head (although it is a very boring red/brown color-I hate it!). I have been everything from a very,very light red-really a golden color, all the way to very dark auburn. Adam suggested black. I nixed that, only because I have such a round face I was afraid the dark color would make it look even rounder, and instead opted for a dark brown. I also bought a highlight kit for dark hair, because I like my dark color to be broken up a bit. My hair is very porous from all the coloring, so sometimes the color takes darker in some spots than others, so the highlights help hide that. Anyway, this is what I got:

kindly disregard how messy it is-it was windy out
Ok, guess that is enough for now. Back to the playing....

5 Comments:

  • I like the new hair color!

    Your hand dyed yarn is very pretty as well. Isn't that swap fun! I can't wait to work with green next month.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 4:32 PM  

  • Your hand-dyed yarn looks great! I can't wait to hear how everyone likes their swapped yarn!

    By Blogger Zarah, at 1:45 PM  

  • It looks good! Hand dyed yarn, hand dyed hair...

    Those bunny slippers are adorable.

    By Blogger Carrie K, at 7:26 PM  

  • I'm so sorry to hear that you're still battling that nasty virus!! I hope you're on the mend soon- you certainly deserve a reprieve. I love how your dyed yarn turned out! It looks wonderful- I especially love the orange and white skein. I would love to play around with dyeing and handpainting someday- it really looks like such fun! Your hair color looks fantastic, too! I love the warm highlights. Me, I'm just happy with anything that covers up my hair's tendency to look like a skunk. ;-) Looking forward to seeing your design- go, T! Thank you so much for all your support and good wishes this past week- it's really meant a lot to me. Hope all is well with you.. take care, Teresa! :-) Love, c.

    By Blogger candsmom, at 8:44 PM  

  • Still sick? I hope you are able to battle that virus and kick it out for good, T!
    It is so cool that you already finished your postcard. I need to start mine... and your yarn for the swap is great!! Your pal is a friend of mine - Sarah is so cool! She was at the little meetup this past weekend ;) I love the dyeing idea, but I had to pass on it this month... perhaps next month or in June.

    Your hair looks great, Teresa! :)

    Best wishes, and big hug!
    Lolly

    By Blogger Lolly, at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home